Sunday, September 16, 2007

Aretha Franklin Talks To People Magazine About Her Weight Loss


"Queen of Soul" Aretha Franklin will be joining Usher, Stevie Wonder, Ludacris, Garth Brooks, Robin Thicke and other all-stars for Sept. 18's Dream Concert at Manhattan's Radio City Music Hall.
It's no secret you've had some struggles with your weight in recent years.
Who hasn't had a weight issue? If not the body, certainly the big head! (Laughs.) But I have no such issues now.
How much have you lost?
A lot of weight. I won't say the number, but I found the magic numbers on the treadmill. Slowly but surely. It's all happy
No surgery?
I would never, ever do that. I know many women who [had gastric bypass surgery]] who are having a bad time now, unfortunately. It's nothing I would ever do.
So, tell us about the Dream Concert.
It's going to be one magnificent evening. We're trying to raise money [to build] the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial on the National Mall [in Washington, D.C.]. It will stand between the Lincoln Memorial and the Jefferson Memorial, and I wanted to help because MLK Jr. was a family friend – and because I believe in what he was doing.
Have you been working on new music, too?
I have a single coming out in two weeks – a duet with Fantasia [Barrino], called "Let Me Put
You Up On Game."
And a movie?
For television. My autobiography, From These Roots. Hopefully it will happen early spring. I have verbal commitments from Billy Dee [Williams] to play my father, and Terrence Howard to play Smokey Robinson.
Who'll play you?
I'm not sure yet. Jennifer Hudson came to read for me. I also have an interest in Halle Berry possibly doing it. And Fantasia.
Any of them would be great.
That's for sure! It really is exciting just to watch it all come to fruition.

2 comments:

Andie C. said...

lol @ her wanting halle berry to play her, she must be kidding herself! lol! this woman has gotten so damn cocky! i think jhud would do an amazing job, not only is there a resemblence, but jhud's vocal range and prowess is not one to play with!

whatsuptamnews said...

Hi Andrea I am with you on this one Jhud would blow this part out of the water I dont know what she was thinking when she said Halle. She needs someonce who can sang not sing! sang and act and jhud can do both!